Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Gertie


While over on the left coast Girlface was taking care of the dogs. Girlface's main mode of transportation is her beloved puke-green Cannondale. Two dogs do not ride well in the panniers so she was finding creative ways to leave Sumi and Gertie at home but not inside. Sumi is OK, but Gertie is a people pup and will either find a way out or chew up everything in retribution for being away from you. That is interesting considering Gertie is, in theroy, Sumi's therapy dog. Sumi was a rescure from a high kill shelter in NC and has been extreamly shy (read that scared shitless) of people since she has come to stay two years ago. She does ever so much better with Gertie.


Anyway, normally the dogs come to the office with me and they both curl up under my desk leaving no room for my feet. (Shaking head) So one day I get a check in call from Girlface.


Me: Hi, how's thee doing? (I was raised part Quaker and talk funny.)


GF: OK (she was raised with me and I talk funny)


Me: How are the dogs doing? Did thee put them in the barn?


GF:Well I left Sumi in your bedroom and I left Gertie in the upstairs bathroom.


Me: WHAT!?


GF:Gertie got out of the barn yesterday so I put Gertie in the upstairs bathroom.


Me:(Thinking of all sorts of havoic having been wrought.) What was thee thinking! Did she tear the place apart? (heart rate rapidly rising)


GF:No everything is fine, Pop. Guess where I found Gertie?


Me; (thinking, oh god, oh god, neighbors, Timbuctu, wedged under the floor under the tub where the little cat use to go, could she really fit in there, a boxer/lab, oh god, where was she..).....uh....where? (small voice)


GF:(Triumphantly) On the roof! She pulled down the towels and turned on the lights and the fan and turned the water on in the tub and then went on the roof.


Me: How did she get on the roof?


GF: She went through the screen.


Me: Is she alright?


GF: Yeah. (pause) Pop?


Me: Yeah?


GF: How do I get her off the roof?


Like I say, life is not as you expect it and gravity is not your friend.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful dogs, they.
Gravity dogs, thee.
Constantly.

It's thundering and raining like no gravity's business right here, right now.

Funny tale.
So how'd Gertie make a soft landing? Perhaps she can teach me thee a thing or twelve.

--

MarmiteToasty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MarmiteToasty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
OrdinaryShark said...

Gertie (from the The Princess and the Goblin, one of my favorite books) made it safely off the roof through the bedroom window (cue Green) via my bed no doubt.

monkeytree said...

Gertie must have been a circus dog in a past life with all her many talents.

OrdinaryShark said...

Welcome Batikgirl aka Mrs. Shark!

MarmiteToasty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hello Mrs. Shark.
Hello to you.

How lovely.

(smiling at the monitor)


--

MarmiteToasty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
monkeytree said...

Thanks sweeti. And Thank you Psycho therapist.
Marm, I'm only a shark by default
;)!