Tuesday, May 1, 2007

The Value of a Child's LIfe

The lead article in today’s Portland Press Herald is about a grandfather who lost his grandson, whom he was raising, in a terrible auto accident. The grandfather understandably is grieving over his loss, however he is also, reportedly, unhappy with the legal system. First, he is angry that no criminal charges were brought against the driver of the other car, even though the incident was ruled an accident. He stated that the District Attorney should have brought an indictment even of no conviction would have resulted. This, I believe, is clearly wrong.

His second point of contention is that there is a cap on recoveries in a wrongful death action in the state of Maine. The grandfather believes he should be able to recover more than the $400,000 cap for the loss of his grandson. This I have always failed to understand. What is the justification for a suit for money damages for the loss of a child? There can never be a suitable amount to compensate for the loss. I would not trade all the money in the world for any of my children or any child. All the money in the world cannot bring a child back. Why do people believe they are entitled to money, from an individual, from a government, from society, from anywhere, whey a tragedy takes a child?
I would love to see the ideas of others on this.

8 comments:

MarmiteToasty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

The sense of entitlement is, for me, misdirected or poorly directed, anger...the feeling of powerlessness. And being on the receiving end, listening to the blame frequently accompanying the "entitler", is difficult.

These are the times the muse presents me with the image of the M240B. Perhaps this makes a bit more sense now. (wink wink)

It's so much easier to project outside the Self/self than cope/manage with the unanswered existential dilemmas within...those inherent in this reality. This place ain't fit for anything less than watermelon balls and a heart as big as Texas. Anyone tellin' you otherwise is an asshat or hasn't had enough turns around the barn to KNOW.

Thank you for the opportunity to vent.

Jesus I am up-to-here with idiots blaming me for their shit or the failure of the system, any system, (God or any bureaucracy) to meet their needs.

Who the hell ever said this place was fucking fair, I mean, come the fuck on.

Okay, done.

:)



--

Anonymous said...

So...how'd I do? Was it good enough?

LOLOLOLOLOL....


nightie night,
sleep tight.

--

OrdinaryShark said...

Marm- I hope she is doing better, as I said.

PT- Does all that mean that those people are pissed? And I ain't never said it's fair.

peace

Anonymous said...

i hope i never experience the loss of one of my children. i can't imagine the grief.

i agree with the psycho therapist about the feeling of powerlessness.
and could it be too that maybe, somehow they are trying to say this child's life had value... it was worth something. and yet not ever being able to find something to compensate, they sort of lose their way.

OrdinaryShark said...

Fatty- there is a difference between saying a lost child has value and demanding hundreds of thousands dollars for one's self. Clearly, however, it is an arguement that I simply don't ever want to be able to understand from their point of view. I cannot imagine losing a child.
Oh yeah, and welcome!

Anonymous said...

Does all that mean...

Oh honey, I see there is work to be done in the arena of understanding women, lol.

Tell you what, from this minute forward I'll give you concise.

One could say "powerlessness" falls along the continuum of "anger", yes.

--

OrdinaryShark said...

There is always work to be done in understanding.