Monday, April 30, 2007

Lunch

My office is in what’s known as the Old Port section of Portland, just a block away from the Federal and County courthouses. It’s also right across the street from Anthony’s Italian Kitchen, the best little eatery for many miles. They do cabaret on the weekends that is sold out weeks in advance.

I use to make my lunch but I have fallen into what I think of as my little luxury: I buy my lunch everyday from Tony. I have an account with him and he gives me a discount for being a regular. He’ll do that for anyone who asks. I call ahead and they make it just the way I like it, always some slight modification cause I’m a picky SOB. I never let him give me a bag or a box (in the case of his famous pizza) and I collect all the rubber bands from the sandwiches and return them for reuse.

Today I ordered a sausage sandwich because now that Girlface has moved back into the house, albeit reluctantly, as it is too far from her friends and work, I get a great meal cooked every night for me. (I clean up.) Since she is vegan, I get my minor meat fix at lunchtime.
So when I ordered my lunch today I asked for the sandwich and some sunshine, as it is a drizzly dark cold day. When I got back to my desk I noticed there was a big sun with a smiley face inside it drawn on the wrapper of the sandwich. I guess I don’t have much to complain about; I get sunshine on request.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

when I ordered my lunch today I asked for the sandwich and some sunshine...When I got back to my desk I noticed there was a big sun with a smiley face inside it drawn on the wrapper of the sandwich.

It is precisely those little things that let me know I am not alone, that there might be some meaning, that I am "heard".

Reminds me of a favorite scene in "American Beauty", ya know...the one where the young guy has filmed the plastic bag dancing on a November day with the hint of snow in the air...and he watches it to remind himself there is beauty here...and everything else I just wrote.

Lovely thoughts, Shark. Brought a smile. Thanks.

(I still like clouds the best.)

;)



--

OrdinaryShark said...

Thankee for stoppin' by.

Anonymous said...

i want that kind of power, ordering up a little sunshine.. :o)

MarmiteToasty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.