Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Womb

This is the first poem I ever sold: Midwest Poetry Review, April 1984



Womb

Hong Kong is constantly being torn down
and rebuilt. The sound reaches me
as I lie in darkness.
She is an uncertain city, a twitch
between China and the sea.
I walk her streets watching her side-
long glances. Ripples bounce off
every building, rustle people along.
Holes appear in the streets,
people avoid them; unanswered questions.
The streets tie down the city's anxiety.
The ground pulses with the strain. Buildings
push across no man's land, wade into the bay.
Hong Kong beats on the edge of excitement
and unpenned history. I fall asleep
to the sound of cabs traveling in a half dozen
directions. The city is closing her eyes.
We dream together.




It is not my favorite nor my best but I put it out here to encourage everyone (including me) to write and everyone to publish. There are many, many people who write better than I; some should be publishing.

6 comments:

Pam said...

sharkie~love ur poetry, ur writings..if only i was as gifted in word as u. unfortunately, i write really bad poetry as can be seen on my myspace page lol i have loved all of mtoasty's maties blogs so far :)

MarmiteToasty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pam said...

mel, yes, i am glad u let me into the secret club lol far more intelligent things being said here and none of them try to cause trouble lol :)

Anonymous said...

fabulous poetry... i've been scrolling back.. love it. i look forward to more.

thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. i don't think i can keep up with marmy though... she's one of a kind!

Anonymous said...

(smile)

More, please.

(smile)


--

MarmiteToasty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.