Monday, April 23, 2007

Refusal Not to Fly
for Nathan Bright Keegan, 1983-2007

As I make my way to your funeral,
I drive too fast.
I accelerate the motorcycle
along the outside curve of the exit ramp,
around a car already over the speed limit,
cut him off
and speed ahead.

I am not late.
Like you, I want to fly.
With a reckless, careless, endless intensity.
I speed past the traffic light
without noticing the color.

I have a thousand questions.
Each blurring streetlight that flashes by
whispers an answer
that falls on a fleeting shadow.
My head down without a helmet,
I miss the light held by your sister driving ahead.

A police cruiser passes
going in the opposite direction.
In my rearview mirror
I see his brake lights illuminate.
I make a left and accelerate into an immediate right
and cruise up a parallel street.

It is 192 miles from Biddeford
to Little Cranberry Island.
A distance measured from seven pounds
to beyond six feet;
from your first step to all the answers
that did not fit your questions.
A path that constantly turned
the horizon on its side.

I find the street to St. Bart’s.
I slow down and pull in.
Faces turn at the noise the tires make as I stop.
I make my way through the memories of your life,
littered with tears and smiles;
Scars and hands extended.

There is a tangle of family and friends.
There are answers here
that have caught up to your questions,
questions that may fit some of your answers.
There is a brother whose world has turned darker.

You always wanted to fly
and sought those paths;
carefully, carelessly, intensely.
And with passion and friends.

I will listen to the images
and comfort the memories
and I will leave with the fire of your passion.


SP


Nate's obit, it should be noted is of Pulitzer quality. Check it out;

http://www.legacy.com/mainetoday%2Dpressherald/Obituaries.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=87403789

5 comments:

MarmiteToasty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JBelle said...

beautiful, lovely piece for Nate, Counselor. today he rides helmetless with the sun at his back....

Anonymous said...

Good evening, you.

I liked the special newspaper article. It was befittingto his life.

One day you'll be riding down the road and you'll look over and there he'll be...Nate and that smile, again...and you will know, in that moment you will know.

Sad for the loss.

__

MarmiteToasty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
OrdinaryShark said...

Marm- so often an obit is just a peice of fluff to blow away at the end of someones life. That one was a true peice of art, deserving of the life it was remembering. It is offered to all and meant to be read.
Thanks for stopping by everyone.