Thursday, May 3, 2007

Socks

I got wicked annoyed today because my right sock had a huge hole in the heel. I hate that. It was really bugging ms so I dug through my drawers, in this case an antique seed cabinet in my office that still has some turn of the century seeds in it, and found a needle and thread and sewed the sucker up. I sewed it; I did not darn it. That, of course reminded me of this:

Society

I have a darning egg
from the nineteenth century.
To the uninitiated it appears to be
no more than a tiny wooden dumbbell
with unequal ends. A cretin, a freak.
It is antiquated as well as antique.
Useless. Today's socks
are not worth mending.

SP 1983

10 comments:

MarmiteToasty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
OrdinaryShark said...

Marmy that is a wonderful observation. I have on one gray sock and one dark blue sock (but they are the same thickness.) What do you suppose that says about my life. Or my socks.

MarmiteToasty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MarmiteToasty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pam said...

marm, sharkie-we have a sock monster in the house and i SWEAR it follows us no matter where we go. gone are the days when we could hang our clothes on the line and have them smelling like the outdoors. can't do that here where we live cuz it is considered 'not pleasing' to other neighbors (plus u would get fined). and why does their seem to be a stigma to those who do hang their clothes on the line? are we really infringing on other ppl's rights simply cuz our socks are out on the line? are ppl not civilized cuz they like the way their clothes smell aft a day in the sun? maybe socks/clothes do say something bout our society, eh? and it's not necessarily good...

Anonymous said...

I enjoy how you pen observations.


---

Pam said...

p.s. i just wanted to say that 'clothes on the line' remind me of my youth and how times seem more simple...what a change from now.

MarmiteToasty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pam said...

hehehe @ smalls, mel...yeah, lots of things can't be done some places in doodleland. if i were to hang my clothes out on a line here, they'd be as dirty as before i washed em lol too much wind and building going on.

MarmiteToasty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.