Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Off the Map


This is the view from the front porch of the family house in New Hampster. With the birth of Amina it now has served seven generations of my family. It is called Hilltop.

The poem was written for Weaselboy when he was traveling last year.


Off the Map

Tell me about Pato

and Barcelona

and why it is a million times better

than Paris.


Tell me about the squat,

How the light is refracted

by the crack in the window.

How the ideals of Anarchy

are mixed with flour for pancakes

for dinner

because that is what thee wants.


Tell me how the roots of life

spread beneath the surface

springing up in the dark corners

of the dirtiest parts of the cities

and blossom with revolution

fueled with vegan sweat.


Tell me this and more

on dumpstered paper postcards

sent back across the ocean

to the place thee is always missed.



SP

6 comments:

Carla said...

Seven generations?!!! That's quite a lot. My family would be on a whole different continent that far back. Nice view.

MarmiteToasty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

First thought: My god, what a magnificent view.
Second thought: (sigh) Oh, yes, I remember that.
Third thought: Wow is he lucky.
Fourth thought: "Off the Map", what a great little movie.

Home is always home.


--

Queenie said...

Wow! what a view, I would just sit there all day LOOKING!!!!
Lovely words, so glad I've finally had chance to get here. Having a few problems with my computer, but I am about. Be back soon.

OrdinaryShark said...

Carla- Thanks for stopping by. It is amazing how short generations can be but how different they are.

___

Marmy- I know they need to go but I miss them terribly when they're gone.
Marmy in a squat - she probably ruled the roost!

___

PT- Home is the lucky part. Always good to see you.

___

Queenie- Welcome to the Nuthouse. Have enjoyed your blob and yes, I always knwe you knew Janet was a chicken.

monkeytree said...

That picture doesn't even begin to do Hilltop justice.